Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blondeez Daily Diary Tuesday

Do you ever get into cookbook ruts?  I planned this week's recipe basically using 3 cookbooks and a couple web recipes, so judging just based on this week you'd think I was obsessed with them.  I do love them, but I'll try to work in a little more variety as we go along.

I added local honey to a big dollop of greek-style yogurt for breakfast this morning.  Last week I finally broke down and bought some Fage 2% to see if it lives up to the hype (plus it was on sale) and it's definitely the best greek-style yogurt I've tried!  I was disappointed to learn that most of the commercial greek yogurts have artificial thickeners added instead of being strained, but the Fage is just milk and yogurt cultures.  It's pretty filling--I ended up eating my snack in the afternoon because I wasn't hungry midmorning.

Lunch was leftovers--drumsticks and artichoke mashed potatoes from Sunday and the last of the creamed spinach.  In the afternoon, I had a handful of Fruit and Nut Granola that I made this weekend, which I love.

Finally it was dinnertime!  I made Crabmeat Salad with Avocado and Mango, which has a citrus dressing instead of mayonnaise.  I think it's just gooey enough without being heavy.  Here is a huge platter waiting for dressing (I made a double recipe because I was feeding a crowd):

CJ and our guests ate it on hoagie rolls, Akira picked pieces out of a bowl with her fingers, and I had mine in a bowl over spinach:

I polished off the last of the Banana Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze for dessert!

Crabmeat Salad with Avocado and Mango (modified from The Ultrametabolism Cookbook)
Serves 8
Prep time: 20 min
  • 1 lb. lump crabmeat (I use fake because I like to eat this often and I don't have *that* much money)
  • 1/4 cup minced scallion
  • 1/4 cup diced fennel
  • 2 avocados, diced
  • 1 cup diced mango
  • 1/4 cup finely diced red pepper (I leave this out because it gives me indigestion)
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 1 tsp. minced jalapeno
  • 1 tsp. lime zest
  • 5 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. snipped chives
Flake the crabmeat into a bowl.  Gently fold in scallion, fennel, avocado, mango., red pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime zest.

Combine the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.  Pour over the crab and gently mix.  Garnish with chives.

Fruit and Nut Granola (from The Ultrametabolism Cookbook)
Serves 12
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped raw, unsalted almonds
  • 1/4 cup chopped raw Brazil nuts (I hate them so I use walnuts or hazelnuts)
  • 1/4 raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • pinch ground nutmeg
  • pinch kosher salt
  • 3 Tbsp. canned unsweetened lite coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. grapeseed or other neutral-flavored oil
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, wheat germ, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla.  Drizzle over the oat and nut mixture and combine well.

Brush a sheet pan with oil.  Transfer the granola to the sheet pan and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until browned.  Remove from the oven and stir in the dried fruits.  Let coola nd store in an airtight container (refrigerate after 5 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment