Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pizza with Pesto, Spinach, Mushrooms, Bacon, and Ricotta

This isn't really a pizza recipe post, since I'm sure y'all can figure out how to put toppings on a store bought crust and bake it, but I did want to share a picture and maybe inspire some pizza-creation!

I bought the only pre-made crusts at the store, little two-packs of gluten free frozen crusts by Udi's. They are pretty good, though they're really more like pitas than pizza crusts. Then I topped it with homemade pesto, layered on the veggies and bacon, spooned some ricotta on top, and finished with some olive oil and fresh ground black pepper.

When it came to baking, I experimented by putting a foot-square piece of Carrara marble I liberated (with permission) from a former employer into the oven to act as a pizza stone. I don't have a lot of experience making my own pizzas but I've heard a pizza stone is a good thing for getting the crust nice and crispy on the bottom. And what do you know, it worked! Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment